Friday, June 21, 2019

no sacrifice too great (L09)

bringing a higher law into marriage
I walked upstairs with my 15-month-old to put her down for bed to find my husband playing video games. I felt myself cringe inwardly. I had to stop myself and question the feeling and repent quickly of the judgment I had hurriedly put on my husband at that moment. This week I’ve been learning about what sacrifices make marriages thrive, and as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we know that the Law of Consecration is a law that brings marriage to a higher level – a level closer to God.
The law of consecration is not just a law of sacrifice. Dictionary.com has these definitions for “consecrate”:
• “to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity”
• “to make (something) an object of honor or veneration; hallow”
• “to devote or dedicate to some purpose”
Also, the Guide to the scriptures says this about the Law of Consecration:
“To dedicate, to make holy, or to become righteous. The law of consecration is a divine principle whereby men and women voluntarily dedicate their time, talents, and material wealth to the establishment and building up of God’s kingdom.”
The Law of Consecration is to dedicate ourselves to God’s purpose, and I think the key word here is ‘voluntarily.’ It’s when we actively choose God’s way always and in every aspect when end up consecrating our lives – and this includes marriage. When we admit that we have total control over our actions, including anger, then we start to recognize how to consecrate everything to the Lord.
what does it look like in marriage?
In his book about drawing heaven into marriage, Goddard says:
“Most of our sacrifices take a startlingly pedestrian form. I have never yet been called on to stand in traffic at risk of life and limb in order to protect Nancy. But I have been called on to make a thousand sacrifices that felt earth-shaking.”
He continues with his experience of how his wife gets toothpaste out of the bottle. For me, video games come to mind. My husband had been studying all day, he has his colossal Step 2 medical test to becoming a doctor in a couple of days, and he even helped out with my 15-month-old earlier today when I had an emotional breakdown. I may not love video games, but I love my husband, and it’s my change in attitude (not just letting him play) that is one of those little sacrifices that bring our marriage one step higher.
but, but, but –
There be no ‘buts’ about it. The world tells us it’s okay to focus on ourselves and make sure we get the care we need, but Goddard speaks to truth in this quote:
“No partner on the face of the earth can meet all our needs. In mortality, we will live with disappointment. We can dwell on our discontent or we can celebrate the points of connection.”
God doesn’t want us to be just happy; he wants us to have a fullness of joy! This means making decisions that will disappoint the mortal body. The purpose of marriage and life is not just to make it to heaven, but also to become heavenly.

Worked Cited:
Dictionary.com
“Drawing Heaven into Your Marriage,” H. Wallace Goddard

No comments:

Post a Comment